Monday, May 4, 2009

Sunday MLB

The Seattle Times: Thriller in Seattle. Mariners win in the 15th, after over coming a 3-run 13th inning deficit and a 4-3 9th inning deficit. "That's a game we could easily have folded up and went home, and we didn't," manager Don Wakamatsu said.

NY Times/ AP: Carl Crawford steals 6 bases in a game, ties an all-time record. “I found that out late,” Crawford said of his accomplishment. “I wish I had known during the game. I probably would have broken it if I knew. I’d have definitely tried.”

Ben Shpigel/ NY Times: Another, more likely possibility for Oliver Perez is to send him on the DL with a knee injury. But which one? When he came out, Perez said that his knee had been bothering him all season. Asked which knee, he paused and looked down. The right one, he said.

LA Times: The Dodgers remain undefeated at home (10-0). The won their 10th today w/out Manny. The exclusion of four starters from their lineup didn't prevent the Dodgers from becoming one of only four modern-day National League teams to start a season 10-0 at home, a distinction also held by the 1983 Atlanta Braves, 1970 Chicago Cubs and 1918 New York Giants, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

College Baseblog: Is this kid Stephen Strasburg for real? His coach Tony Gwynn sure things so. "He's further along at 20 than any young pitcher I've ever seen," said SDSU coach Tony Gwynn. "I didn't see some of the great, great ones, but for a 20-year-old junior to be out there recognizing that they're cheating on the fastball and just drop that slider right on them, then a change-up and then a 99 (mph fastball) on the black . . . ."

NY Daily News: Catching up w/ former Met Ed 'The Glider' Charles. "My only regret of my career is that I didn't get here (to the Mets) earlier in my career," says Charles, who celebrated his 76th birthday on Wednesday. "I really loved my time in New York."

No comments: