Thursday, May 21, 2009

Method Man & Redman To Appear On Jimmy Fallon Minus The Roots


Method Man and Redman are scheduled to be on Jimmy Fallon's show to perform their single "A-Yo". But unlike most of the other rap performers that have appeared on the show, they specifically requested The Roots not to be the backup band when they perform, preferring to keep it old school and just have the 2 MCs and a DJ.

?uestlove was disappointed with this decision and took it a little too personally in my opinion. I don't see what the big deal is. ?uestlove should know that hiphop was built on the foundation of the DJ, and that not everybody in the world is going to want to have a live instrumental version of their songs. While I greatly admire The Roots as a hiphop group, I don't necessarily think they are the greatest house band in the world. Their live instrumentals of hiphop beats sound significantly different than the original versions. For me, while I find it amusing to hear The Roots do their instrumentals, it definitely doesn't trump the originals because it is impossible to replicate the sonic qualities of the sample and drums.

No comments: