Friday, April 10, 2009

Chris Russo banned from Citi Field and Yankee Stadium


Bob Raissman wrote a great article about Chris Russo's ban from doing radio shows at Yankee Stadium and Citi Field. His ban even extends to Met and Yankee spring training sites in Florida.

"What (ticks) me off more than anything else is after I went on with Stern - where I was predictably put in a tough spot - Mike goes on his show and says, 'I don't view those (satellite) guys as competition,'" Russo said Thursday. "Hold it now. Time-out. If you don't view me as competition, then why can't I be at the freaking ballparks?"

The answer to that question, according to WFAN operations boss Mark Chernoff, whom Russo accused of acting in a "petty" manner, has nothing to do with emotions or rivalries - only money.

"We pay millions and millions of dollars for the rights to the teams. As part of the deals we get that exclusivity," Chernoff said Thursday. "That's what we are selling to our advertisers. If we allow another radio station in (the stadiums), what we're selling becomes saleable for someone else. That makes absolutely no business sense."


[NY Daily News]

No comments: