Monday, February 4, 2008

Belichick, still one of the greatest coaches

I've heard people on WFAN complaining about Belichick's walk-off with 1 second left in the game. They say it's classless. I can't even think of a single other coach that would have received the same kind of criticism. What's the big deal with him walking off the field? How many NFL games have you seen the clock run down and players walk off the field. Every year, there are tons of games where the players essentially end it by raiding the field with the clock running down. Didn't anybody notice that Coughlin went out and gave Belichick a 3 second hug/congratulations? Why isn't Coughlin criticized for doing exactly the same thing?

Does Belichick rub people the wrong way? Absolutely. He acts like a jerk. After games, I've routinely seen Belichick literally push and throw reporters out of his way on his way to meet the other team's head coach. I don't feel sorry for Belichick because I don't remember ever seeing another NFL coach ever having to act like jerk or be so uncooperative during interview sessions. Bill simply needs to lighten up.

Is he a great head coach? Let's see. 3 out of 4 Super Bowls as head coach. 2 out of 3 as an assistant head coach. 5 rings out of 7 chances. Sounds like a pretty good coach to me.

Where would I rank him up there along with Walsh, Gibbs, Lambordi, Brown, Landry, Nohl, Parcells, and others? I'm only 28 so I've seen so little. The Giants and 49ers were dynasties when I was like 4-11 years old.

Belichick's definitely the greatest coach of the last 15 years, hands down.

No comments: