Thursday, October 25, 2007

Flex schedule for MLB play-offs

There's been much debate about the new MLB Play-off format. Personally, I'm not a fan at all.

I think there were some good intentions. The day off b/w the 4th and 5th game was a pretty good idea. But I think they should use it with discretion. I mean, if it's Boston vs. Anaheim, I think having a day-off for travel is a pretty good idea. However, if it's Arizona/Chicago, I don't think the day off is necessary.

Pushing the World Series to avoid the dreaded Saturday night ratings was a really good idea. However, they didn't need to push it back to the following Wednesday. I would have pushed it back only one day, to Sunday, so that you have games 1 and 2 played on Sunday and Monday. Then you skip to Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday for Games 3-5. And finally, have 6-7 on Sunday and Monday again.

Obviously, the day-off b/w 4 and 5 for the LCS is really a bad idea. It's a momentum stopper and completely unnatural having game 5 squeezed in b/w 2 off days.

What I would do is design a flex schedule. I would definitely keep the off day on the Monday after the regular season finale to deal with tiebreakers. If more tiebreakers are due on Tuesday, then hold off the other series until Wednesday.

And once the division series kick off, I would have at most 3 games per day. I would also speed up the start of LCS should both Division series end early with a sweep or in 4 games.

Same would go with the start of the World Series. If both LCS finish early, then move up the date for game 1 of WS, even if that means having to schedule two games on Saturday night.

No comments: